We finally made it to Coffs Harbour, where we would be spending the night. We arrived at the Park Beach Holiday Park and luckily for us they had one space left for our van. It was Good Friday the following day, so all the families were filling up the parks. The park was right across the road from the beach so no wonder it was popular.  We parked up and went for a stroll. There was the usual few surfers, but there was also a boy kite boarding. The wind was really strong and as he was getting ready to go in the water, he was struggling to keep himself on the ground! It was fascinating to watch, he went so far out into the sea, I was worried he wouldn’t be able to return!

We woke up early the next morning and headed towards our next destination – Byron Bay. We’d been recommended to make a few stops along the way, one of which was the Pacific Hotel in Yamba where we could grab a drink and take in the views of the ocean. We decided not to go in for a drink, but did go for walk around, as the views were great. It was another really hot day and being that it was now Easter weekend the beach was heaving, so no doubt the bars would be too. Having taken in the view, we continued on our way to the Ballina Gardens Caravan Park where we would be spending the next two nights. All the parks in Byron Bay were full when we tried to book ahead so we opted to stay just outside.

For our day in Byron Bay, we thought we’d spend it down at the beach. We got up reasonably early (11am) and started on the 30-minute drive to get there. As we reached the town, we hit the traffic. It was creeping along slowly and cars started to turn back. We really didn’t want to give up on our day at the beach, so we persisted and rather than continue in the queue to get to a car park, we found a parking space on the roadside and put the van in there. It was only about a 10-minute walk to the beach, so we felt our luck was in by nabbing a free spot!

We walked down to the beachfront and decided to grab something to eat in one of the many restaurants. There were so many places to choose from, but we settled on The Hogs Breath Café, which we had pretty much seen in every town we’d been to. We had a delicious big lunch there and then headed for the beach. It had gorgeous white sand and blue seas but the waves were rough – perfect for surfers. Barry is normally reluctant to go in the sea with me, but this time, once we were in, he didn’t want to come out. We were having so much fun jumping over the waves, diving into them and letting them push us back to the shore. They were so powerful they would just suck you back into the sea. The only downside was that the water was so salty – there must have been a lot of dirty whales around having some fun that day!!

After spending a couple of hours getting our tan on, we headed back and on our way home, we stopped at The Macadamia Castle. It’s a children’s adventure park, but they had a café there and we really fancied a milkshake. I ordered a coffee one and Barry a caramel. They put an extra 15% on the prices due to it being a bank holiday weekend so the lady said she would make them extra special for us. When she brought them over they were in huge metal cups. Everyone else had small glass ones, but she promised us special, and that’s what we got. They were delicious but so thick they took forever to drink. I don’t think I’ll ever find a milkshake that tops it!