During our flight to Perth, we had a 10-hour stop over in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 10 hours sounds a long time, or so we thought, but after queuing for over an hour and half to get through passport control at Kuala Lumpur airport and wanting to be back three hours before our flight to Perth took off, it meant we actually only had a few hours to see the city.

Riding on an empty plane to Malaysia

Passport control was ridiculous. The queue was just never-ending and people were trying all sorts to queue jump. Near the start of the queue, one woman shimmied up next to us and collapsed on the floor crying. Everyone was looking at her strangely, but I knew what she was up to. I said to Bal, ‘she’ll try and cut in’. After about 15 minutes of queuing and leaving the crying woman behind, she suddenly appeared just a few people behind us in the queue. As we got further along in the queue, she kept feigning illness and people were letting her cut in front of them all over the place – the fools! Hat’s off to her though, her plan worked and she made it out of there about half an hour before we did. Bal even almost got into a row with two women because they kept squeezing their way further forward, the women just laughed in his face though and no one around us seemed that bothered.

So, as I said earlier, after just over an hour and half, we finally made it out of the airport and looked for the shuttle bus, which would take us to the train station, so we could get the fast train into the city. It was easy enough to find, and we only had to wait about 20 minutes for the next bus. Within the hour we were in the heart of Kuala Lumpur.

The main things we wanted to see were the Petronas Towers and an Oceanarium, which had a 90 metre tunnel that homed great white sharks and giant stingrays. Initially we thought we could walk to the towers from the train station but after asking a taxi driver how long it would take, we decided against the hour and a quarter journey in 30-degree heat and jumped into his taxi instead.

We were dropped off right outside the towers and were amazed at how tall and detailed they were. Not just glass towers how we had imagined them. As usual Barry spent about half an hour walking round taking a million and one photos. I won’t bore you with all of them so just a select few are attached!

February 2014 - 16 - 49

Next stop was the Oceanarium, which was just a 5-minute walk away. Once we were inside, it really was very different to any other aquarium we had seen before. The first fish you were met by were piranhas. They were huge and just sat still in the water, waiting for feeding. I’d never seen piranha’s like that before. We saw all different types of snakes, frogs, crabs and then we reached the tunnel. The tank around us was filled with all types of giant fish including a stingray, which was about the same size as me! We even saw great white sharks in there – I don’t think I’ve ever seen sharks like that in an aquarium before.

By the time we’d finished walking round the Oceanarium, we had to start making our way back to the airport – somehow though, Barry found enough time to take a few million more photos of the towers. Before we boarded the train, we stopped for a McDonald’s. We always like to try the local cuisine! We opted for a double big mac and a frozen Fanta. It was big, but we managed to eat a whole one each.